|Seriously, this is a sport?|
Is NASCAR a sport?
The answer, of course, is hells no, which I proved so eloquently awhile back. And before you start your usual arguments, NASCAR fans, (you try it! driving that fast takes a lot of energy! it’s hot in the car!), I acknowledge all those things. I also acknowledge that driving to work does not make me an athlete. Being able to talk on the phone and smoke a cigarette while partaking does not make me an athlete. Racing a car/horse does not equal sport.
That’s not why we’re back on this. Instead,
Sport (n) (sp-O-urt) – any athletic competition during which there is a reasonable opportunity for physical injury when played AS THE RULES DICTATE. Remember that last part.
1. Yoga - Besides the fact hot chicks do it so it’s easy to watch, yoga is actually being considered as an Olympic sport. I wonder if it would be a summer or winter game. Anyways, not only could you pull a muscle doing this, the viewers could pull a muscle contorting to see those angles. Mmmmm, angles. Does that make the viewers athletes?
|If you catch it, it's like an orange slice in soccer.|
4. Nordic Combined - LB’s Winter Olympics guilty pleasure. If anyone knows someplace I can ski, then stop to shoot a rifle, sign me up. All this needs is a bunch of animals running around in the target area where you get more points for shooting the small ones, like that arcade game who’s name I can’t remember. Then you could have a huge BBQ blow out afterwards
|Tough ladies, ya?|
6. Video Gaming - The list of professional athletes getting hurt playing video games, as rules dictate, mind you, includes Andy Murray, and, sadly, one of my favorites whose career is probably over, Joel Zumaya. And, according to this article , video game injuries are up 60% in the last 10 years. And, yes, I think I can argue that playing video games AS RULES DICTATE is more injurious than driving a NASCAR vehicle as you're supposed, i.e., not driving it into a wall or someone else.
|Men without girlfriends|
8. Honorable Mentions - not quite sports, but these were worth noting...
- Bog Snorkeling - 120 meters in a bog, using only flippers. Shockingly created in England over a bet. Probably not created by sober people.
- Ferret Legging - Two ferrets in your pants for as long as possible. The world record is over 5 hours, without underwear. I am sadly not making this up.
- Toe Wrestling - Equivalent of thumb wrestling. Rex Ryan is a grand champion.
- Wife Carrying - This actually qualifies under my definition, but after surveying many friends, we all decided that A. metaphorically speaking, we do this all the time, and B. it’s really not that fun. Which is the point of sports, isn’t it?
If you want to kill an hour at work, Google “obscure sports.” It’s worth it. Better yet, follow Logical Betting on Twitter at twitter.com/logicalbetting or contact us at email@example.com. Lots of picks and random content on the Twitters, and only a few a day, so we won’t bog down your account with perfect nights picking the NHL like we did the other day. Hasta.